Categories

  • All Discussions
  • Hottest Topics
  • My Discussions
  • Specific Beers
  • Specific Brewers
  • General Beer Talk
  • Website
  • Non-Beer Talk
  • Industry News
  • Beer Events
  • Beer and Food
  • BeerPal Polls
  • Unreplied
  • Popular All Time

Obama and Guns

Non-Beer Discussion by KENDOSURF

Years ago, some folks were warning that Obama was out to eliminate individual freedoms...The Right To Bear Arms was one of those. In response I bought a .177 air rifle, a .22 short rifle, and a used Stevens tootsie pump 12 gauge. I used the air rifle a lot, trying out different pellets. I've barely fired the .22 (492 long rifle bullets remain from 500) and I've never fired the shotgun...I have 10 Regular 00BK shotshells and 5 Magnums. I'm not a hunter but I liked using bottles, clays, and bullseye targets as "prey". http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nra-rallies-posse-warns-of-clinton-gun-bans-ammo-bans-anti-gun-judges/article/2562870 Opinions? [8)]


5 years ago
# 89
# 89

"Man, you have me wanting to get out and do a little plinking. I have a little vintage .22 Colt revolver that is a blast to shoot. Here is a video of a guy with a revolver like mine - https://youtu.be/7UrDOTkzxUA" [^] LIKE! Here, I can own any rifle or shotgun with merely a quick background check at the place of purchase. For a handgun, I'd need to have a special permit, pay a fee, etc. Seems ironic, since my Tootsie-Pump loaded with 5 Sluggers can do a hell of a lot more damage than a [8D] Colt .22. I believe it's the "concealment" factor that's in view here. Understandable, BUT [8)] ...What say y'all? [?]

4 years ago
# 90
# 90

HEEMER77
21489

quote: quote: Originally posted by KendoSurf
"Man, you have me wanting to get out and do a little plinking. I have a little vintage .22 Colt revolver that is a blast to shoot. Here is a video of a guy with a revolver like mine - https://youtu.be/7UrDOTkzxUA" [^] LIKE! Here, I can own any rifle or shotgun with merely a quick background check at the place of purchase. For a handgun, I'd need to have a special permit, pay a fee, etc. Seems ironic, since my Tootsie-Pump loaded with 5 Sluggers can do a hell of a lot more damage than a [8D] Colt .22. I believe it's the "concealment" factor that's in view here. Understandable, BUT [8)] ...What say y'all? [?]
Oh, I didn't know you would have those extra steps. You are correct that good pellet guns can do more damage than a .22. Pellets are more economical! I don't do concealed carry. I have researched carrying around something like a baton or slap-jack, but in Iowa, I would need the same permit that you need for pistols! Stun guns are also in that category in Iowa. I don't know the regulations in other states.

4 years ago
# 91
# 91

The Tootsie-Pump refers to my 12 gauge Stevens...Sluggers are Remington's 12G slugs. But I HAVE seen the .177 pellets do a better job of demolishing bottles than .22 bullets sometimes...?!? [:0] Variables involved that I don't understand, but usually a .22 bullet shows itself to be more powerful than a .177 pellet. [;)] [8)] Yeah, there are arbitrary rules and regs all around. I've always assumed that carrying a tonfa, for instance, would not be restricted by law? Afa Stun Guns, I have no idea what the law says around here. Self Defense is still OK...isn't it, Obamna??? [B)]

quote: Originally posted by heemer77
quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by KendoSurf
"Man, you have me wanting to get out and do a little plinking. I have a little vintage .22 Colt revolver that is a blast to shoot. Here is a video of a guy with a revolver like mine - https://youtu.be/7UrDOTkzxUA" [^] LIKE! Here, I can own any rifle or shotgun with merely a quick background check at the place of purchase. For a handgun, I'd need to have a special permit, pay a fee, etc. Seems ironic, since my Tootsie-Pump loaded with 5 Sluggers can do a hell of a lot more damage than a [8D] Colt .22. I believe it's the "concealment" factor that's in view here. Understandable, BUT [8)] ...What say y'all? [?]
Oh, I didn't know you would have those extra steps. You are correct that good pellet guns can do more damage than a .22. Pellets are more economical! I don't do concealed carry. I have researched carrying around something like a baton or slap-jack, but in Iowa, I would need the same permit that you need for pistols! Stun guns are also in that category in Iowa. I don't know the regulations in other states.

4 years ago
# 92
# 92

HEEMER77
21489

quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by KendoSurf
The Tootsie-Pump refers to my 12 gauge Stevens...Sluggers are Remington's 12G slugs. But I HAVE seen the .177 pellets do a better job of demolishing bottles than .22 bullets sometimes...?!? [:0] Variables involved that I don't understand, but usually a .22 bullet shows itself to be more powerful than a .177 pellet. [;)] [8)] Yeah, there are arbitrary rules and regs all around. I've always assumed that carrying a tonfa, for instance, would not be restricted by law? Afa Stun Guns, I have no idea what the law says around here. Self Defense is still OK...isn't it, Obamna??? [B)] [quote]quote: Originally posted by heemer77
[quote]quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by KendoSurf
"Man, you have me wanting to get out and do a little plinking. I have a little vintage .22 Colt revolver that is a blast to shoot. Here is a video of a guy with a revolver like mine - https://youtu.be/7UrDOTkzxUA" [^] LIKE! Here, I can own any rifle or shotgun with merely a quick background check at the place of purchase. For a handgun, I'd need to have a special permit, pay a fee, etc. Seems ironic, since my Tootsie-Pump loaded with 5 Sluggers can do a hell of a lot more damage than a [8D] Colt .22. I believe it's the "concealment" factor that's in view here. Understandable, BUT [8)] ...What say y'all? [?]
I need to read more carefully! I just recall seeing some higher end pellet guns that put out the pellet at a much faster velocity than a .22. As far as those regulations, the ones I referred to are state level in Iowa. Here, I think that you can freely carry mace and pepper spray, it's the weapons that are intended to cause harm that get the regulations which includes concealed blunt objects and large knives. It's best to read up on local laws. It was only in the last 6 months or so that stun guns were included on that list by a Supreme Court of Iowa ruling.

4 years ago
# 93
# 93

"I just recall seeing some higher end pellet guns that put out the pellet at a much faster velocity than a .22." [:0] Oh, yeah! Airguns have a long history of being serious weapons. There were extremely high caliber guns...around .72 or .76...I'll see if I can garner enough ambition to seek out some of those links. [;)]

4 years ago
# 94
# 94

http://www.beemans.net/400%20Years%20of%20Tradition.htm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/air-guns-history.htm And here's a links page for anyone wanting to go further with the subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=history+of+airguns&oq=history+of+airguns&ie=UTF-8 [8D]

4 years ago
# 95
# 95

quote: Originally posted by heemer77 As far as those regulations, the ones I referred to are state level in Iowa. Here, I think that you can freely carry mace and pepper spray, it's the weapons that are intended to cause harm that get the regulations which includes concealed blunt objects and large knives. It's best to read up on local laws. It was only in the last 6 months or so that stun guns were included on that list by a Supreme Court of Iowa ruling.
Yup. Odd stuff. In MA you can't carry pepper spray unless you get a permit. The pistol carry permit enables you to also carry pepper spray. In DE, the concealed carry permit covers all weapons. In PA, a firearm permit enables the carrying of a firearm, not a knife. And even with permits in 10 or so states, there are always those very oppressive states that basically don't issue or recognize permits (MD and NJ, e.g.), and even in those states, there can be significant county to county differences (NY and CA). It's a mess. Interesting cases in circuit/appeals courts, some may press the Supreme Court to be at it again, so the next waive of appointees is critical for 2nd Amendment rights. We all know there won't be dialogue and compromise on the issue in Congress. Lost country.

4 years ago
# 96
# 96

Wasn't this a great discussion...on a Beer Site ?!? :D We are in a very different environment now, with Covid-19 and people misusing guns. I'm thinking of NYC in particular. :( Since this thread, I've moved from a rural house to a village apartment. No guns...sold the firearms, let go of the air guns. Haven't pursued further martial arts. Like riding a bike, you retain basic skills but if you want to be top-notch you must keep at it. ;) In spite of Covid, I'm quite content...bu God's Grace. :)

3 months ago
# 97
# 97

That should read "by God's grace", not "bu God's Grace". I know y'all know that, but it's frustrating that I can't edit the post. C'est la vie.

3 months ago
# 98
# 98

I don't have firearms or pellet guns anymore, since I can't go out in my yard and shoot things like I used to {when I was rural}. But I do try now & then to be informed...maybe I'll get back into it someday? Here's an award-winning pellet rifle by Stoeger. It's a step up in caliber (.22) and it's a PCP (rather than a Springer) as compared to my rifles of the past. It's also their most expensive version @ $249, but that's certainly not a prohibitive price! :) https://usa.stoegerairguns.com/xm1-suppressed-pcp-airgun The Realtree Edge would be my choice. Still looking for a link comparing the Gamo Lethal .22 pellets with the Gamo Rockets. Both are metal piercing rounds. I liked the Rockets but haven't fired the Lethals...I gots ta know! :D

1 month ago
Sign up to participate!