BeerPal Forums | back to Women Beer Enthusiasts | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Who do you beer with?
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 43 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >    Last Page >>

AuthorMessage
Hannah

64 posts
Posted Jun 17 2013 at 9:50:58 PM   |
| Reply |

Hello ladies! It's been a while and I thought we needed a fresh topic. So the question: do you drink beer with beer-loving boys, do you have many beer-loving girl friends, do you enjoy fine ales alongside friends drinking margaritas or what? I love sipping beer with other beer lovers, but sometimes I just feel like its a guys club. I fear when I try to chat beer with local beer nerds and even local brewers, they may perceive me as an imposter, maybe even that I'm trying to use beer to flirt or hookup (ewww, as if). I would love to attend beer get togethers like some that I hear about where everyone brings two amazing bombers and the whole group shares and comments. Gosh knows I have some killer beers to bring to the table. :) Sadly, I have never heard of a girl attending one of these. Maybe this is an Oklahoma problem. What's happening for you ladies in the rest of the world?
fretwalker

839 posts
Posted Jun 18 2013 at 11:13:58 PM   |
|

never mind
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Jun 19 2013 at 2:00:49 PM   |
|

I can't say that I speak for the majority here Hannah (there are still a LOT of cavemen out there) but having a female in our beer group with your knowledge, taste, and ESPECIALLY enthusiasm would be refreshing beyond words. We have one female in our beer group, more so because she's a friend of our through work and running. She's somewhat interested (and has come a long way) but is not even close to your league as far as craft beer love goes. But you know what, we have a couple of guys that drop in ocassionally that are the same way.
No way would you be seen as any kind of imposter here, or be thought of to have any ulterior motives.
That goes for this little group/thread as well.
I think you gals are awesome!
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jun 19 2013 at 10:18:55 PM   |
|

quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by Hannah

Do you drink beer with beer-loving boys, do you have many beer-loving girl friends, do you enjoy fine ales alongside friends drinking margaritas or what?

Good question Hannah! Oddly enough, even though I live in the DC Metro area with a population over 9 million people (2012 Census estimate), I have a lot more girl and guy friends in PA who love their beer like I do than I have here in my new home. The guys in this area who I enjoyed libations with tend to choose between beer and bourbon or scotch. The girls predominately order wine or cocktails.

When I am getting to know someone and talk about craft beer being one of my interests (as I am archiving my beer on unTappd mind you), I usually get a surprised response from the guys and a cool response from the girls. (You should see the men's faces when I also mention I ride a Harley and target shoot....talk about a little intimidation. I have found that all of this becomes TMI for most guys and I choose my hobbies to mention more carefully in my next introductions).

Right now I am in a tither about how many restaurants, pubs and bars in the DC/VA/MD area do not offer on tap or in bottles a porter or a stout on a regular basis. The look I get from most bartenders when I ask for those dark brews is something like "...hmmm....noooo....but don't you think you'd prefer a nice pale ale?!?!?! Or better yet, how 'bout a fruity cider? We have five of those brews on tap!" When I ask for a cask beer, I really get the eyebrow raises.

Am I sensing a bit of "beer divide" out in society among the genders??? I would be interested to conduct a poll to ask men if they feel it looks feminine for a woman to drink beer. Or, would she look more feminine and soft if she was sipping a wine or cosmo?

Is a woman who loves her beer taken as having too much "yang" for her own good?

I agree. We seem to be in the minority, even here in BeerPal land, but as long as you have a few great gals (Qat, Gezatron, Sari and you ;) who we can share our beer passion, I think we're still ahead of the game in fun!
fretwalker

839 posts
Posted Jun 22 2013 at 2:21:28 AM   |
|

Is it only gender?

I might be the "elder statesman" in the bunch. My friends of my own age aren't into beer... some are into wine (they're the pretentious ones, with raised pinkies, who spit at tastings... disgusting!) The rest drink Lite or Light, god help 'em.

The only "Beer Geeks" I know are young hipsters, and we have a good time talking beer in our favorite bars... but outside the bar, nobody's going to invite me over for a brew.

My "never mind" post, Tuesday,(I've learned to STFU with a buzz on) followed a delightful evening involving my 2 favorite bartenders and a 2-year vertical tasting of KBS 2012-2013. 2 young women, whose company I certainly enjoy, and whose opinions I value...

We may all be beer geeks, but the old social barriers remain?
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jun 22 2013 at 7:39:33 AM   |
|

Just for fun...

Here is a link to an online poll I created. I've wondered about the results since I posted my reply to Hannah.

Men: You are invited to take the poll!

Women: You can see the results without voting by clicking on: See how the men answered!

Link to poll: [url]http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51c58841e4b0d965925b5784[/url]

Cheers to honest data! [8D]
Qatfish

166 posts
Posted Jun 25 2013 at 12:48:52 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Hannah

So the question: do you drink beer with beer-loving boys, do you have many beer-loving girl friends, do you enjoy fine ales alongside friends drinking margaritas or what?

I have both male & female friends who enjoy beer, and both male & female friends who prefer other beverages.

When I'm with friends and I'm in the mood for an alcoholic beverage, I almost always opt for beer. If there is no good beer option, I'll usually go for tea or coffee before wine & cocktails. My friends know and expect this.

I love sipping beer with other beer lovers, but sometimes I just feel like its a guys club.

Some guys do, unfortunately, send out this vibe, telegraphing messages such as "What are you doing with beer? You can't know anything about beer. Go away and let the men enjoy beer." Even some women do this, treating beer in both their conversations and actions like it's only a guy thing (e.g. "Ladies, we've got this great wine over here... and for the guys, I got beer!").

Among friends I don't usually encounter this, so I guess I've chosen my friends well! But the vibe is definitely common and strong enough that I find myself relieved when it's not present-- when I discover other women who enjoy kicking back a few cold ones, when guys talk beer with me without condescension, etc. It's a sad state of affairs that would make me feel relief when this occurs. My friends aren't the problem, thank heavens, but there is a problem out there.

I would love to attend beer get togethers like some that I hear about where everyone brings two amazing bombers and the whole group shares and comments. Gosh knows I have some killer beers to bring to the table. :) Sadly, I have never heard of a girl attending one of these.

Perhaps there's more than one thing going on here. Like I said, in my experience, some guys do send out this "you don't know about beer, woman" vibe. But some women do, too, like they've also internalized the "it's a guy thing, women don't like/care about beer" narrative and just ceded beer to menfolk. These two sides of the same attitude may contribute to a culture in which the good guys just don't know how/where to meet women who enjoy (or might/would enjoy) beer, or don't realize that they already know women who enjoy beer, and so they don't think to invite women to the kind gatherings you mention.

I want to think the tide is turning. I don't know whether things have actually gotten better generally or whether I just care less, but I do feel as if things are slowly getting better for me, in this regard, over time.
fretwalker

839 posts
Posted Jun 26 2013 at 10:06:05 PM   |
|

I've been in a few bars (rare, I'll admit) where the beer geeks are predominately women, and every guy in the place is drinking swill. A few months ago, I wandered into a bar near Indy and ordered a Bell's something on tap... A feminine voice a few stools away exclaimed, "Finally, a guy that likes beer! I got this one!" That led to an enjoyable conversation, which would've been a lot better without the knuckledraggers the ladies had in tow. (OK, I'll stipulate, you guys can drink much more Swill Lite than I'm willing to!... and, no, I'd rather not take this outside)
Pyuke

66 posts
Posted Jun 29 2013 at 10:11:40 PM   |
|

My daughter's favorite beer is a bourbon barrel stout, followed by Russian Imperials and other "manly" beers. I've seen her verbally abuse a waiter that had the temerity to suggest a "lighter" beer for her. She enjoys all different styles of beer, wine and a few harder drinks. We had a local beer group tasting club with a couple of ladies that were very active in it. At these gatherings, some of the spouses prefer wine, most will drink "craft" with the guys and quite frankly, add a very enjoyable perspective to the discussion. Must just be Oklahoma[:D].
fretwalker

839 posts
Posted Jun 29 2013 at 11:29:48 PM   |
|

I have to wonder, do women in general taste the same things as men, in the same way?

There's a legitimate basis for this question: I learned, back when I was selling electronics, that women's ears generally are more sensitive to distortion than men's; it's been shown statistically. I often advised my male customers to bring the wife/girlfriend/significant other into the store before buying audio. I'd rather have everybody happy than have nobody happy. (As we all know, if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!)

At this point, I don't have the resources to explore the question properly, nor the statistical chops anymore to crunch it... but I still wonder.

Comments?
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jul 02 2013 at 9:19:42 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Pyuke

My daughter's favorite beer is a bourbon barrel stout, followed by Russian Imperials and other "manly" beers. I've seen her verbally abuse a waiter that had the temerity to suggest a "lighter" beer for her. She enjoys all different styles of beer, wine and a few harder drinks.

Your daughter sounds like my kind of girl!

I've felt that same temptation to correct those waiters who mean well but I tend to push it back down.

My recent reaction to a pale ale recommendation from a young spitfire waiter? I smile and say something like, "I used to drink that kind of beer when I was in college but I've graduated."

Followed with a smile and sometimes a wink, all depending on my mood, the waiter backs down.

Given my age I am hoping it's more of a "You've come a long way baby" type of "ah hah" moment for him.[:)]
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jul 02 2013 at 9:35:55 PM   |
|

quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by fretwalker

I have to wonder, do women in general taste the same things as men, in the same way?

Great question fretwalker! Qat and I have this same conversation on the topic of hops. Men love their hops but we think that women taste hops differently. I do believe there are women who love hoppy beer, but when I am out and listen to what men order, the hoppier the better seems to be the mantra!

I love a beer that has a nice combination of flavors that all compliment and supplement each other. But it seems that a hoppy beer can get away with being an awesome best seller just because of its "hoppiness" factor. Look at the best sellers. Does anyone else see this trend?

More importantly, does "hoppiness" alone bring "happiness" to most men?

I also notice how many hop options are listed on a beer menu versus the number of stout and porter offerings. I will be honest. I am guilty of assuming a man is picking the beer selection that is listed in most venue menus. Very few dark brews compared to the hoppy brew selection.

If I am wrong, I stand corrected. It would please me to have more stouts and porters on the beer list, or at least one dark brew as a regular option in bars, pubs and restaurants when I am out and about. That would make this girl, who loves her dark brews, very "cheery"! [;)]
eaglefan538

2756 posts
Posted Jul 03 2013 at 4:18:01 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by mwiscount

quote: quote: Originally posted by Pyuke

My daughter's favorite beer is a bourbon barrel stout, followed by Russian Imperials and other "manly" beers. I've seen her verbally abuse a waiter that had the temerity to suggest a "lighter" beer for her. She enjoys all different styles of beer, wine and a few harder drinks.

Your daughter sounds like my kind of girl!

I've felt that same temptation to correct those waiters who mean well but I tend to push it back down.

My recent reaction to a pale ale recommendation from a young spitfire waiter? I smile and say something like, "I used to drink that kind of beer when I was in college but I've graduated."

Followed with a smile and sometimes a wink, all depending on my mood, the waiter backs down.

Given my age I am hoping it's more of a "You've come a long way baby" type of "ah hah" moment for him.[:)]

Pale ales are now not sophisticated enough for a craft beer drinker like me? Zoiks!
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jul 03 2013 at 6:50:06 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by eaglefan538

[quote]

Pale ales are now not sophisticated enough for a craft beer drinker like me? Zoiks!

Hello eaglefan538! Thanks for keeping the conversation in check!

For me it has nothing to do with sophistication. It's all about preference. In the very small PA town I grew up and in the PA town I attended college, it was all about pale beer. Now, living with so many choices, porters and stouts are my preference.

For me, it's all about how my tastes and preferences have evolved. Nothing more.

Looking forward to the upcoming Eagles season with a new coach! Life for the Philly fan should be good. [:)]
eaglefan538

2756 posts
Posted Jul 03 2013 at 4:29:26 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by mwiscount

quote: quote: Originally posted by eaglefan538

[quote]

Hello eaglefan538! Thanks for keeping the conversation in check!

For me it has nothing to do with sophistication. It's all about preference. In the very small PA town I grew up and in the PA town I attended college, it was all about pale beer. Now, living with so many choices, porters and stouts are my preference.

For me, it's all about how my tastes and preferences have evolved. Nothing more.

Looking forward to the upcoming Eagles season with a new coach! Life for the Philly fan should be good. [:)]

Methinks your use of the term pale beer means you intended pale lager in the original post? Pale ales are nothing of the kind, right? Or maybe a pale lager and a pale ale are both pale to you? Ah well, I still love me a good pale ale.
fretwalker

839 posts
Posted Jul 04 2013 at 12:20:05 AM   |
|

quote: quote: Originally posted by mwiscount

quote: quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by fretwalker

Great question fretwalker! Qat and I have this same conversation on the topic of hops. Men love their hops but we think that women taste hops differently. I do believe there are women who love hoppy beer, but when I am out and listen to what men order, the hoppier the better seems to be the mantra!

I love a beer that has a nice combination of flavors that all compliment and supplement each other. But it seems that a hoppy beer can get away with being an awesome best seller just because of its "hoppiness" factor. Look at the best sellers. Does anyone else see this trend?

More importantly, does "hoppiness" alone bring "happiness" to most men?

I also notice how many hop options are listed on a beer menu versus the number of stout and porter offerings. I will be honest. I am guilty of assuming a man is picking the beer selection that is listed in most venue menus. Very few dark brews compared to the hoppy brew selection.

If I am wrong, I stand corrected. It would please me to have more stouts and porters on the beer list, or at least one dark brew as a regular option in bars, pubs and restaurants when I am out and about. That would make this girl, who loves her dark brews, very "cheery"! [;)]

Mel, we had a poll awhile back http://www.beerpal.com/brain/pollresults.asp

Only about 10% - 15% difference between hopheads and maltheads. I would've expected more of a gap, more to the hop side. Among casual acquaintances, most seem to prefer hoppy, but I don't see much difference by gender; most women I talk to love their IPAs as much as the men.

It may be a question of exposure, too. Most beer bars really are hop-heavy, as you point out. People in general think of craft beer in hoppy terms... look at any statistical breakdown of sales - you'll usually find categories listed as Lagers, Pales, Belgians, and Other. "Other" generally seems to range from brown ales to stouts, with sours, lambics and saisons thrown in while we're at it. I noticed this, BTW, while trying to research this very question: Is there a gender difference in beer style preference?

I wasted a crazy amount of time, and couldn't come up with enough data make even a half-assed guess! (Amazing, the stuff I get curious about!)

Here's my suspicion, though:

Most casual craft beer drinkers (as opposed to genuine beer geeks like me and thee) have been exposed primarily to the hoppy side; they've found something they like, and are not inclined to adventure further... a pretty human trait.

A smaller number, once exposed to a wider world of beer, just have to explore this whole new world of flavor, and become beer geeks!

If there's a gender difference between these two classes, I haven't seen it enough to notice, at least!

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 43 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic