BeerPal Forums | back to Poll Discussion | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Poll: Beer Pet Peeves
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 31 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >    Last Page >>

AuthorMessage
Clash

2028 posts
Posted Feb 26 2013 at 4:40:46 AM   |
| Reply |

What is your biggest beer pet peeve?

-Rare beer hype
-No 'best by' dates on bottles
-Rising bottle prices
-Rising draft prices
-Macros attempting craft beer
-Trends toward bigger and crazier beer
-Green/clear bottles
-Other

Thanks slowrunner77 for the poll idea!

So what is your biggest beer pet peeve? Does it involve crazy trends? price? macros trying to take over market share? Or just improper storage/labeling? There is no way to cover every single pet peeve with beer so if you select other please tell us what it is here.

Clash

2028 posts
Posted Feb 26 2013 at 4:50:26 AM   |
|

I selected rising bottle prices because I'm not noticing as much with draft but bomber prices are out of control.

Think about how most bombers are usually $8-$10 on average these days. Do you realize that is close to $24-$30 a six pack?! I think most of us are quicker to pick up a $10 bomber than we would the same beer in a $30 six pack. In fact I think most people would laugh at even a $20 six pack
Airforce1

149 posts
Posted Feb 26 2013 at 4:52:25 AM   |
|

"No 'best by' dates on bottles"

Biggest pet peeve of mine. Tired of buying bad beers.
kinger

2714 posts
Posted Feb 26 2013 at 8:19:30 AM   |
|

Bottle Dating, I wish every brewery slapped a born on date clearly visible on the label.
Drink By dates are subjective, so just let me know when the damn beer was packaged and let me decide.

Pricing is a close 2nd with a tip of the hat to Clash's response.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Feb 26 2013 at 10:18:31 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by kinger

Bottle Dating, I wish every brewery slapped a born on date clearly visible on the label.
Drink By dates are subjective, so just let me know when the damn beer was packaged and let me decide.

Pricing is a close 2nd with a tip of the hat to Clash's response.

This exactly. With all the idiotic laws surrounding beer, why dating isn't one is a mystery to me.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Feb 28 2013 at 12:58:43 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Clash

-Rare beer hype
-Rising bottle prices
-Rising draft prices
-Green/clear bottles
-Other

So what is your biggest beer pet peeve? Does it involve crazy trends? price? macros trying to take over market share? Or just improper storage/labeling? There is no way to cover every single pet peeve with beer so if you select other please tell us what it is here.

Those three things annoy me quite a bit. Especially the sort of hype that can center around one specific beer that nobody seems to be able to get. I see it first-hand all the time. And then when I try it, I think- Hm, this is good. But was it worth trading your entire cellar for?
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Feb 28 2013 at 2:10:21 PM   |
|

quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by Phishpond417

quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by Clash

-Rare beer hype
-Rising bottle prices
-Rising draft prices
-Green/clear bottles
-Other

Those three things annoy me quite a bit. Especially the sort of hype that can center around one specific beer that nobody seems to be able to get. I see it first-hand all the time. And then when I try it, I think- Hm, this is good. But was it worth trading your entire cellar for?

I think the reason the hype thing doesn't bother me as much is that it's something that you, as an individual, are in total control over. You don't like it - let it be everyone's elses problem, right?
Stale bottles - less control. Sure, you can just not buy anything without a date, but that's a crap option sometimes too.
I responded to a recent Sac Beer Week poll about Pliny the Younger. For those of us out west, one of the most hyped up beers out there. The question was "Okay friends... Pliny the Younger??
Is it a pint of hype or truly liquid gold???"
And my reply "I fully disagree that it's hype, though I am at the point in my life I won't stand in line for hours for anything. I've had several hundred different IPAs and imperial IPAs and it's one of the best 3 I've ever had. But, the Elder is one of the best 5, without the circus."
I called the place I thought would be most under the radar, hoping to try this for the third time, but 45 minutes before the tapping they had a couple hundred in line, so I passed. That's not even taking into account they only had enough for half that number. So, I let the others worry about it. Sometimes the beers are worth the hype, and sometimes they're not (I beleive this one absolutely deserves it's rep - but even that is absolutely in the eye - or on the tongue - of the beholder). I was super stoked when I got to try this particular brew - I overpaid in the form of a too-expensive DIPA fest as opposed to camping out or trading my cellar - but have no regrets (I think PTY and Hopslam are my two highest scored hoppy brews).
One of the cool things about beerpal traders is that I don't think there is any of that trade your whole stash for one beer crap going on. Locals for locals, big expensive beers for big expensive beers maybe, but avoiding the giant box for a single garbage.
STALE BEER SUCKS.
That is all [;)]
heemer77

1761 posts
Posted Feb 28 2013 at 4:16:58 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Clash

I selected rising bottle prices because I'm not noticing as much with draft but bomber prices are out of control.

Nothing really upset me that much, but I also picked rising bottle prices. I rarely drink beer at bars anymore. There is plenty of new stuff I want to try, but I mostly limit it to 12 oz. bottles as they are always much more reasonably priced than bombers or 750's.

Who is buying all these $10-20 bottles? It sure isn't me.
jlozier

2024 posts
Posted Feb 28 2013 at 10:03:02 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by heemer77

WORD.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 12:49:14 AM   |
|

macro brews that come up with off brand names so that they seem like new beers.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 1:06:45 AM   |
|

On the other hand some of the macros that have come up with off brands have at least made some better beers than the schlock they regularly dish out.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 12:36:53 PM   |
|

Nice.
quote: Originally posted by mattfungus

macro brews that come up with off brand names so that they seem like new beers.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 1:39:18 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by jlozier

quote: quote: Originally posted by heemer77

WORD.

Plenty of people. Especially on the West Coast. I didn't really notice it as much living in the midwest, I think mainly because of the variety of awesome, affordable beer had me surrounded. Now living the Pac NW, I see people dropping $10-$20 on a 750ml like it's nothing. $15 is where I personally draw the line. It has to be really fricken awesome for me spend $15 on a brew.

Some breweries are notorious for marking up their beer to insane prices. Cascade Barrel House in Portland is known for that. Every bottle they release seems to be $25/30 a bottle. They recently have been catching a lot of flack for this, as it's way overpriced and the bottled beer is good but not amazing.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 2:59:27 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Phishpond417

quote: quote: Originally posted by jlozier

quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by heemer77

WORD.

Plenty of people. Especially on the West Coast. I didn't really notice it as much living in the midwest, I think mainly because of the variety of awesome, affordable beer had me surrounded. Now living the Pac NW, I see people dropping $10-$20 on a 750ml like it's nothing. $15 is where I personally draw the line. It has to be really fricken awesome for me spend $15 on a brew.

Some breweries are notorious for marking up their beer to insane prices. Cascade Barrel House in Portland is known for that. Every bottle they release seems to be $25/30 a bottle. They recently have been catching a lot of flack for this, as it's way overpriced and but the bottled beer is good but not amazing.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 3:02:43 PM   |
|

I definitely buy less of the big bombers, but I do buy them. Travis - your $15 limit is a good one. I won't go higher than that unless I'm virtually assured the brew is awesome. I've had $30 bottles that were worth it, and not...and $1 bottles that were worth it, and not. Much less risk with the cheapo's, so those happen more often.
I have no problem, though, getting multiples (not a case or anything, but more than 1) of every Deschutes Reserve beer that comes out, or an Alesmith Speedway, Wee Heavy, or Barleywine at $12 or so per. Totally worthy.
quote: Originally posted by heemer77

quote: quote: Originally posted by Clash

Nothing really upset me that much, but I also picked rising bottle prices. I rarely drink beer at bars anymore. There is plenty of new stuff I want to try, but I mostly limit it to 12 oz. bottles as they are always much more reasonably priced than bombers or 750's.

heybeerman

113 posts
Posted Mar 01 2013 at 5:28:34 PM   |
|

To me, rare beer hype doesn't mean rare beer that I can buy if I go to some length, but all the BS you hear about a particular rare beer and how irritating that can be. As phish says, there are a ton of awesome local beers that keep my attention, I don't really care that stone came out with a beer with angels tears, yak blood and the milk of a nightflower from Pluto and u r the only one on beerpal that knows about it and tried it. If we all can't try it and talk about it here then who cares? If you can't share it with friends but only drink it alone in your basement then I'd rather not try it.

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 31 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic