BeerPal Forums | back to Women Beer Enthusiasts | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Recipes Made Lovingly with Beer
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 35 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >    Last Page >>

AuthorMessage
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jan 24 2013 at 9:35:43 PM   |
| Reply |

Hello everyone!

Guinness Beer Cake with Guinness Chocolate Icing

I prepared this delicious Mug cake for a guy on his birthday who loves his beer. If you love chocolate (and you love Guinness) you will love this cake and icing. Hands down, it is the best chocolate icing I have ever prepared!

I created a mug cake by increasing the ingredients 50% and baking 4-6" layers. The handle is two Rice Krispie Treats molded into a handle and held together with a toothpick. Use two dowels or skewer halves to attach the handle to the iced cake. The "foam" is just a simple buttercream icing, spread on the top.

To see a picture of the Mug cake, go here: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14641014@N04/8413205390/in/photostream[/url]

You can find the recipe at [url]http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dianas-Guinness-Chocolate-Cake-with-Guinness-Chocolate-Icing/Detail.aspx[/url].

Happy baking and eating! [;)]

Qatfish

166 posts
Posted Jan 24 2013 at 9:54:40 PM   |
|

I love it! Sounds good to me.

The only "recipe" with beer I've really gotten into making is chili, and I use a mix, so it's not a "from scratch" kind of recipe.

Here in northern Virginia, as mwiscount surely knows, we have a chain of restaurants named "Hard Times Cafe." I'm a big fan of their Terlingua Red (cumin-based & a little spicy), but it can get pricey to eat out every time I want it. Fortunately for me, they sell mixes in local grocery stores ([url="http://www.hardtimes.com"]and online[/url]).

Early on, I noticed that the cooking instructions said something like "add beef broth or beer." I decided not to choose between the two: I use beef bullion (flavor of beef broth, but dry) AND beer (for the liquid). I also doctor up the mix with other spices (more cumin! more cayenne!), but the real point of my post is that I add beer to my chili mix. Most of the time I use swill lager, because I'd rather just drink the good stuff if I'm paying for it, but others might be good.

I've also used this method when making vegetarian chili, for vegetarian friends. On those occasions, I use a faux-beef bullion and beer, then replace the beef in the recipe with toasted TVP, beans, and sometimes toasted quinoa.
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 5:41:55 AM   |
|

Sounds great Qat! I also put beer in my chili recipe. I faithfully use Yuengling Lager. Recently I used another beer since Yuengling isn't right down the road anymore but the beer was not a good match for my chili recipe.

I blend the beer with the tomato and chili sauces before pouring into my chili concoction. I add it all: mushrooms, green peppers, onions, three different colors of beans, all kinds of spices as you mentioned ...essentially, it's a chili with the works and the brew! I also have a cornbread recipe that calls for beer but I only bake that to compliment the chili and brew on special occasions.

A beer cornbread recipe similar to the recipe I use can be found at: http://drinkwiththewench.com/2009/12/2555/

Additional note: I always add the cheddar cheese but do not add any peppers to my cornbread. I keep the peppers for my chili dish!

Maybe we can have a chili brew-off in our new ABC group! Wouldn't that be fun? A beer and chili pairing! Delish! [:p]

Think the guys in the group would be game?
Qatfish

166 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 7:08:06 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by mwiscount

I faithfully use Yuengling Lager.

I think that's a good choice. Inexpensive, but better (imo) than many other inexpensive lagers.

I also have a cornbread recipe that calls for beer but I only bake that to compliment the chili and brew on special occasions.

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I gotta try that.

Maybe we can have a chili brew-off in our new ABC group! Wouldn't that be fun? A beer and chili pairing! Delish! [:p]

Think the guys in the group would be game?

Who wouldn't be??? [:D]
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 10:40:48 AM   |
|

Here's one I make, usually for my wife's birthday; a Guinness cake with Bailey's Irish Cream Butter Cream frosting. It's a damn fine cake.

[url]http://globaltableadventure.com/2011/08/04/recipe-dark-chocolate-guinness-cake-with-baileys-buttercream/[/url]

Hello everyone!

Guinness Beer Cake with Guinness Chocolate Icing

I prepared this delicious Mug cake for a guy on his birthday who loves his beer. If you love chocolate (and you love Guinness) you will love this cake and icing. Hands down, it is the best chocolate icing I have ever prepared!

I created a mug cake by increasing the ingredients 50% and baking 4-6" layers. The handle is two Rice Krispie Treats molded into a handle and held together with a toothpick. Use two dowels or skewer halves to attach the handle to the iced cake. The "foam" is just a simple buttercream icing, spread on the top.

To see a picture of the Mug cake, go here: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14641014@N04/8413205390/in/photostream[/url]

You can find the recipe at [url]http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dianas-Guinness-Chocolate-Cake-with-Guinness-Chocolate-Icing/Detail.aspx[/url].

Happy baking and eating! [;)]

Qatfish

166 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 10:53:03 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by fargingbastige6

Here's one I make, usually for my wife's birthday; a Guinness cake with Bailey's Irish Cream Butter Cream frosting. It's a damn fine cake.

Saving this for later.
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 4:45:12 PM   |
|

Try it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and an Irish coffee... excellent, but I have had a Guinness (from the widget can) with it and its nice as well.

quote: Originally posted by Qatfish

quote: quote: Originally posted by fargingbastige6

Saving this for later.
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 8:49:07 PM   |
|

quote: Here's one I make, usually for my wife's birthday; a Guinness cake with Bailey's Irish Cream Butter Cream frosting. It's a damn fine cake.

Sounds like a good match fargingbastige6! I did see recipes calling for the Bailey's Irish Cream frosting but I had none in stock so I went with the Guinness frosting.

Your wife is one LUCKY LADY! I've never had a guy bake me a cake. You rock! [8D]
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jan 25 2013 at 8:51:42 PM   |
|

Guinness Beer Cake is in the oven as I type for tomorrow night's Brewfest in Chocolatetown, USA!

So excited to see my friends and taste this year's contenders. I always like to sit down with the home brewer and ask 1) where did you get the idea for the brew recipe and 2) why did you name it what you did. I love their stories and to see the passion for the foam in their eyes.[;)]
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Jan 26 2013 at 12:54:35 AM   |
|

Prior recipes on the forum

My beer bread with gambrinus malt
[url]http://beerpal.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7116[/url]

lots of yummy recipes
[url]http://beerpal.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=749&whichpage=3[/url]

beer and cheese soup
[url]http://beerpal.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2205[/url]
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Jan 26 2013 at 12:58:35 AM   |
|

Oh and my new favorite is cookies and cream ice cream with NO CHOCOLATE (for those of us who get migraines)

2 scoops Vanilla bean ice cream
1 tbsp finely ground weyerman's chocolate rye malt

Add rye malt to ice cream, stir. Tastes exactly like cookies and cream but no migraine.
Qatfish

166 posts
Posted Jan 26 2013 at 2:21:21 AM   |
|

I always like to sit down with the home brewer and ask 1) where did you get the idea for the brew recipe and 2) why did you name it what you did.

Exactly the kinds of questions I have in mind when I encounter new beers.
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jan 27 2013 at 11:57:45 PM   |
|

My favorite story from Saturday night's Home Brew Party:

Name of brew: Lee and Irene's 8 o'Clock Stout

Inspiration for name: Dale brewed this recipe for the first time between Hurricane Lee and Hurricane Irene!
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Jan 29 2013 at 8:59:16 AM   |
|

quote: quote: Originally posted by mwiscount

I always like to sit down with the home brewer and ask 1) where did you get the idea for the brew recipe and 2) why did you name it what you did.

Great conversation piece! I usually start with watcha brewing, but sometimes that lands me with a one word answer.
mwiscount

181 posts
Posted Jan 30 2013 at 8:22:02 PM   |
|

So tonight I am planning my Super Bowl Fixins! So far on the drawing board:

• Beer meatball hoagies

• Veggies and the Best Dip in the World (Beaumond)!

• [?] maybe, Beer Margaritas - for something a little special and different

Go Ravens!
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jan 30 2013 at 11:27:39 PM   |
|

So tonight I am planning my Super Bowl Fixins! So far on the drawing board:

• Beer meatball hoagies

• Veggies and the Best Dip in the World (Beaumond)!

• [?] maybe, Beer Margaritas - for something a little special and different

Go Ravens!

Go Ravens, check!
Beer meatball hoagies, double check!
Veggies and dip, sounds good...
Beer Margaritas? You got some 'splainin' to do! HA!

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 35 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic