BeerPal Forums | back to Poll Discussion | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Poll: Pets In Bars
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 20 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >   

AuthorMessage
Clash

2028 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 4:40:05 AM   |
| Reply |

What is your opinion of bars/breweries allowing dogs inside?

-I love the idea. I seek out bars that allow dogs.
-I like that some bars allow dogs, might bring mine one day.
-I am indifferent to dogs in bars.
-Pets do not belong in bars/breweries period!

This topic might seem silly to you depending on the bar culture you live in. But I found this topic on another beer site and most were pro-dog. What are your thoughts? As someone with very bad pet allergies, but a love for dogs, my no pet stance is likely clear.

The obvious exception to this is dogs that are assisting the blind or others with disabilities. This topic is simply addressing bringing your dog in for the heck of it.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 7:55:03 AM   |
|

Yes!
[img]http://www.petsfoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Dogs-And-Beer8.jpg[/img]
No!
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2456/3622334673_031b29b8b3.jpg[/img]
maybe...
[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tpy9Nwwx20g/TyyH98dXXgI/AAAAAAAAALA/rxLijC8LDZY/s1600/Beer_Dog.jpg[/img]
No Frikkin' Way
[img]http://www.petsfoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Dogs-And-Beer1.jpg[/img]
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 11:52:38 AM   |
|

I gotta admit, I love it when I go into a store/bar/pub/whatever and I'm greeted by a four legged friend. It usually (not always) signifies a differnt attitude that generally means this is a place I'm gonna dig.
I usually don't bring mine, because they can be a little hyper. If I run em first, they're usually pretty chill, but it's rare I take em along. people seem to like it when I do.

Best part about Iron Fist was the midget dog wrestling that happened spontaneously 10 yards from the bar. Everyone had their beers and were cheering one tiny dog or the other in a big circle like it was a street fight.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 1:46:02 PM   |
|

quote: I gotta admit, I love it when I go into a store/bar/pub/whatever and I'm greeted by a four legged friend. It usually (not always) signifies a differnt attitude that generally means this is a place I'm gonna dig.

You took the words right out of my mouth! [:)]

quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

I usually don't bring mine, because they can be a little hyper.

I know you're not talking about Mary. Best dog EVER.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 3:15:11 PM   |
|

They're a little differnt on a leash [:)] Probably more of an issue of getting settled in, and Pippin not peeing on stuff...
Once they settle down, they're both cool.

quote: Originally posted by Phishpond417

quote: quote: I gotta admit, I love it when I go into a store/bar/pub/whatever and I'm greeted by a four legged friend. It usually (not always) signifies a differnt attitude that generally means this is a place I'm gonna dig.

You took the words right out of my mouth! [:)]

quote: quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

I usually don't bring mine, because they can be a little hyper.

I know you're not talking about Mary. Best dog EVER.
jlozier

2024 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 3:25:58 PM   |
|

I love the idea of being able to bring my dogs. Now I need to find such an establishment.

I know of restaurants on the central coast where dogs are allowed to sit at your table with you (there is even a waterbowl and treats at each table!), but I have neither heard of nor seen a bar set up with this accessibility.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 3:56:53 PM   |
|

My favorite out of business NorCal brewery (Sacramento Brewing Co) brough their own dog bowls to your table (on the deck). Loved that place...
quote: Originally posted by jlozier

I love the idea of being able to bring my dogs. Now I need to find such an establishment.

I know of restaurants on the central coast where dogs are allowed to sit at your table with you (there is even a waterbowl and treats at each table!), but I have neither heard of nor seen a bar set up with this accessibility.
kinger

2714 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 6:30:17 PM   |
|

I don't mind a shop owner's pet or two, but don't see the point in going to a bar with patron's dogs strewn about.
Groups of strange dogs don't exactly sit still and/or quiet when brought together.

Pets of customers do not belong in bars/breweries period!
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Nov 10 2012 at 8:02:02 PM   |
|

I am pro-dog. The caveat: a dog's behavior in public reflects on, and is the responsibility of, the owner. European restaurants allow dogs (OK, Germany and maybe other countries) but the rule is understood: you control your dog, or BOTH of you are OUTTA HERE.

Poorly behaved dogs do not belong in public and their owners should train them or leave them home. Well-behaved dogs are a pleasure, and better company than some humans I could name.

Some people do have allergies, and that's a problem. As a proprietor I would be concerned about non-paying customers driving paying customers away. But as for cleanliness and hygiene are concerned, again, dogs are better than some people I could name! LOL

Present company excepted, of course!
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 1:02:00 AM   |
|

I feel dogs and public places do not mix. I have been bitten or attacked by dogs on at least 4 occasions. In each occasion I was a tour guide in a place that was clearly marked no dogs. In each case the people came with their dogs anyway. In three of the cases the dogs were off leash. The worst was actually the dog that was on a leash. The dog grabbed my pants leg, the owner and his family laughed the entire time as I tried extricating the mf dog.

Also bad was working in a national park and having to tell people to put their dogs on leashes. People look at you with death in their eyes, no matter how nice you ask them. On two occasions I actually feared retribution from the owner.

I tried different tactics when asking then telling people to put their dog on a leash, from safety of the protected species to safety of the dog (there's a bear on this island). The only thing that ever seemed effective was telling them there would be a hefty fine involved and even then some of the wealthier/arrogant visitors would say, "Oh yeah, how much??"

I have worked public events in which dogs have attacked people for no apparent reason, other than being stressed, surrounded by crowds and feeling a need to protect their pack.

I do agree with the idea of service dogs and am okay with businesses that have pets. In both cases it has been my experience that the animals are desensitized to groups of strangers coming and going.
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 7:24:44 AM   |
|

I don't mind a well-disciplined dog in a bar.
bluesandbarbq

5554 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 10:22:39 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by fargingbastige6

Same here.
Cottrell

2160 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 10:41:22 AM   |
|

Dogs > most people.

Keep most people out of bars!
Flashpro

3293 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 12:15:15 PM   |
|

Are there brewpubs or bars that actually let you bring a dog indoors? That would kind of bug me. I know places in Oregon where you can have dogs in the patio or deck area seating, which is different. Anyway, as long as place is advertised as dog friendly, I suppose it's ok because no one is forcing you to eat there. But in general, the presence of a dog makes me lose my appetite! Likewise with some humans [xx(]
heemer77

1761 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 12:32:37 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by fargingbastige6

+1
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Nov 11 2012 at 1:15:54 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by FoamDome

I am pro-dog. The caveat: a dog's behavior in public reflects on, and is the responsibility of, the owner. European restaurants allow dogs (OK, Germany and maybe other countries) but the rule is understood: you control your dog, or BOTH of you are OUTTA HERE.

Poorly behaved dogs do not belong in public and their owners should train them or leave them home. Well-behaved dogs are a pleasure, and better company than some humans I could name.

Some people do have allergies, and that's a problem. As a proprietor I would be concerned about non-paying customers driving paying customers away. But as for cleanliness and hygiene are concerned, again, dogs are better than some people I could name! LOL

Present company excepted, of course!

Dogs are pretty much permitted wherever humans are in Europe. I love it. And I don't recall ever seeing a dog get out of control at a restaurant or bar. Conversely, I don't know how comfortable dogs feel being in a noisy, crowded, environment packed full of people.

Side note: The dog-shit-on-every-sidewalk problem in Europe is out of control. Pick up your shit people!

What about cats? I remember seeing a cat in every restaurant all across France and the Netherlands this past spring.

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 20 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic