BeerPal Forums | back to Poll Discussion | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Poll: Beers on lunch break
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 16 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >   

AuthorMessage
Clash

2028 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 11:14:36 AM   |
| Reply |

Do you ever have a few beers on your lunch break from work?
-Yes, on a regular basis.
-Yes, I do occasionally.
-I have before but generally no.
-I would if I got lunch breaks.
-No, I don’t want to get fired!
-No, I'm allowed to but choose not to.
-No, I’m unemployed.

This is more acceptable in some cultures than it typically is in the U.S. Is it ok at your workplace? Is it ok but not your thing? And if it's not ok do you do it anyway? Don't worry no one will tell. [}:)]
kinger

2714 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 12:40:52 PM   |
|

Have before, but generally no.

Industry functions & golf outings aside, the only time I can recall drinking on my lunch break was a visit to a nearby brewpub. It's in a fairly remote location, and I had a project going on close by so I paid them a visit, had a sandwich and a sampler.
cyrenaica

1566 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 12:52:10 PM   |
|

'a' beer during lunch once a week or so. Never more than one, although I've been to lunch with my boss and his boss a few times and they had no problem having a couple.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 1:24:02 PM   |
|

When I'm working at the brewery, we always have a beer for lunch. Usually just one though. Or we'll taste several different beers that are stocked in the walk-in. I've actually been fortunate enough to have several jobs where I could have a beer or two on my lunch break- no big deal. I find it silly that it's taboo in the US when it's so common in Europe.
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 2:07:14 PM   |
|

I have before (and will again) but generally, no. Travel, conferences/workshops, etc., yeah I've been known to have a pint with my burger/sandwich.
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 2:23:55 PM   |
|

How about, "Yes, I am unemployed"? HA!

I retired recently and am enjoying a season free of external obligations. I could drink beer all day long if I wanted to, but I choose not to.

I'll go back to work full-time one of these days, and when I do, the ability to drink a beer at lunch will not be a significant selection criterion.

During my two tours of duty in Germany, it was interesting to see German soldiers drink beer at lunch next to Americans who were not allowed. Of course, the Germans are conscripts, so perhaps the German government did not wish to instigate rebellion [:D]
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 2:55:25 PM   |
|

Nope. I realize different industries, hell...different regional areas, have different expectations and freedoms (or lack of). In my particular line of work...no way.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 3:07:58 PM   |
|

Tempting....[;)]
Flashpro

3298 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 3:41:58 PM   |
|

I used to about once a week when I was in the office. Now I'm doing construction work and alcohol is a no no, even if I'm in the office building 90% of the time. If they give you a random test, you will get fired if over 0.01% BAC.

When I could get away with drinking in the engineering office, I usually wished I didn't. I have a harder time concentrating on engineering, especially if I need to explain something technical to another person. Even one or two beers make a difference.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 10:57:24 PM   |
|

btw way, working with the public and having a beer for lunch dont mix.

top ten reasons why

10 beer breath
9 worrying about beer breath
8 those kids will wonder why I keep laughing when i ask them not to sit on the stools
7 that business meeting with the head of the county wont go so well when I keep talking behind his back out loud
6 those little old ladies will be too polite to say slow down when I wheel them down the hallway too fast.
5 when hanging a sign or picture nothing is ever level.
4 that hard time deciding whether to stay on a business call or play
"hi bob" on youtube
3 there's no way I'm going in the elevator with the chance of belching beer breath
2 there's no such thing as a beer for lunch when the closest place to eat is Titletown brewery and there are always 2-3 new beers on the menu, not to mention a couple on cask and a guest beer.
1 If it is only one beer at titletown its hopasaurus rex and after that my "dongue eest jusht nung."
jlozier

2024 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 11:06:13 PM   |
|

Granted, my 5th period class might be a little more fun after a beer at lunch...but I love my job way too much to risk my tenure for it.
heemer77

1761 posts
Posted Sep 26 2012 at 11:38:45 PM   |
|

I have, but not on on a regular basis. I have had jobs where it was not an option. However, even when it was an option I rarely have and it was only one.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Sep 27 2012 at 2:28:36 AM   |
|

I har before, but generally no. I work at a library, not an ER, so it's not a big deal. I'm sure there are some ol ladies that would be uptight about it, but they don't know. Generally, I pack a lunch and eat at work. Once and a while, I've met a friend at BJs, but that's about the only time.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Sep 27 2012 at 8:26:50 AM   |
|

I have put malt candy and hops in my coffee...
KendoSurf

1395 posts
Posted Sep 13 2014 at 1:03:38 PM   |
|

The nearest Bud plant allowed employees to drink beer on tap in the lunch room, but problems due to that policy caused them to revoke it. [:(]

The nearest Miller plant (long since gone) instead provided their workers with a generous allotment of beer to take home each month. As a contractor employee I saw a number of Miller workers staggering along the beer lines from their on-the-job consumption...especially on weekend shifts. [:0]
Suds McDuff

3025 posts
Posted Sep 13 2014 at 2:10:20 PM   |
|

i always will drink some in the morning.

sometimes at lunch.

before i leave i might have a pint.

and one or two in the evening.

i work at a brewery.

[:)]

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 16 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic