Beer Fest(s)
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 22 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >   

AuthorMessage
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Jun 30 2012 at 2:14:47 AM   |
| Reply |

Doesn't anybody around here go to them? Der! Of course you do :)

Say what's up and how it was.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Jun 30 2012 at 2:17:59 AM   |
|

Inching toward bed for a good night's sleep so I can take part in the North American Organic Brewer's Festival. [url]www.naobf.org/[/url]

Anybody else have festival plans coming up?
jlozier

2024 posts
Posted Jun 30 2012 at 12:08:51 PM   |
|

I will be once again going to the Brews and Bluesapalooza in Mammoth Lakes, CA. This year I signed up as a volunteer to help set up, and it looks like I may be placed as a stage hand! Mixers, monitors, and PAs, oh my! ...and a ton of delicious beer nearby!
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Jun 30 2012 at 1:41:41 PM   |
|

The Stone Anniversary (weekend) is quite festival-like. 8/17 & 18. The middle two days among 4 days of revelry planned.
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 30 2012 at 7:33:32 PM   |
|

SAVOR 2012 was a blast. I provided some comments in a different thread. I liked the crowd and the venue. About 2,000 people dressed for a cocktail party in an elegant hall is nice. GABF's 30,000 people dressed for a public binge is not my idea of a good time. And fests that take place outside are fine, but then there is the risk of heat, humidity, and storms.

I also enjoyed the Oktobeer Fest at Rustico. Small, family / neighborhood oriented, good mix of food and drink with 50 beer vendors.

Back in the early days of Old Dominion, they put on an annual fest that went from awesome to awful. When it was small, it was awesome. Along about the 8th year, it attracted 10,000 people to a space fit for maybe two grand. In that crowd it's step, spill, turn, spill, breath, sip, spill, piss. Rinse and repeat.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Jul 01 2012 at 12:45:11 PM   |
|

The NAOBF was a blast. My first big Oregon brew fest. A little different than what I'm used to in Wisc.

It rained but not that much.

Volunteers poured the beer instead of the brewers which was slightly disappointing. I like to be able talk with the artists behind the beer. Although many were present, enjoying beer like the rest of us so I did get to chat a bit.

You had to buy individual pours. $1 = 4oz. pour
This I actually did like because it forced me to be mindful of where my tokens were going.

Beers were good. Lots of really interesting options for organic brew. It was nice to see so many brewers going out of their way to spend a little more on organic ingredients and successfully make some delightful offerings.

I did end up getting a little sloshed. (As Blue Lou can probably vouch for. Not sure how long I was talking to him on the phone. Oh and I called John too. Sorry fellas!)

And public transport saved the day once again. Took a series MAX Lines to and fro the fest, managed to transfer successfully. My wife's uncle picked us up from the park and ride and then we went to a pub and had a pint.

All in all a pretty successful day. Nobody got hurt. Not feeling beer-battered at all. The perfect segue into Oregon Craft Beer Month. [:)]
kinger

2714 posts
Posted Jul 01 2012 at 5:54:29 PM   |
|

Two of my yearly favorites are:

Cleveland Winter Warmer Festival - strictly oHIo brewers each with at least 3 offerings of big special beers, it's the best of the best. Located in the flats district of Cleveland, indoors with lots of finger foods to offset all the huge abv samples.

Akron Blues & Brews Festival - outdoor summer event with a huge oHIo tent and a separate tent for others (primarily distributers). Live blues music, good food, and great beer. I typically volunteer to pour for an oHIo brewery every year granting me free entry and endless samples while we take our turns to roam around the grounds. Sadly I'll miss it this year since I'll be drinking in Michigan on our family vacation.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Jul 28 2012 at 12:05:53 PM   |
|

20 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!
quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

The Stone Anniversary (weekend) is quite festival-like. 8/17 & 18. The middle two days among 4 days of revelry planned.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Jul 28 2012 at 12:36:41 PM   |
|

Looks like I'll be able to make it to the Oregon Brewer's Festival 3 out 4 days this year. 2 for work, 1 for play. Sour tent is fairly small but quality brew for sure. Cascade Barrel House had free Gose tapped the first day. I got my hands all over that. Biggest line on Thursday was for DFH's Positive Contact- first time released to the public. Nothing but foam came out of the keg as the patrons became restless. VERY restless. Fortunately I got my hands on some. It was alright but not worth the 20 minute wait.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Jul 28 2012 at 4:16:59 PM   |
|

I'm kicking myself as I type for not being aware of the awesomeness of Cascade when I went up to Portland for a race. Hoping "next time" comes sooner than later [:D]
quote: Originally posted by Phishpond417

Looks like I'll be able to make it to the Oregon Brewer's Festival 3 out 4 days this year. 2 for work, 1 for play. Sour tent is fairly small but quality brew for sure. Cascade Barrel House had free Gose tapped the first day. I got my hands all over that. Biggest line on Thursday was for DFH's Positive Contact- first time released to the public. Nothing but foam came out of the keg as the patrons became restless. VERY restless. Fortunately I got my hands on some. It was alright but not worth the 20 minute wait.
bluesandbarbq

5554 posts
Posted Jul 28 2012 at 8:44:17 PM   |
|

Ah, my younga Brotha, always glad when you call me. (Just found this thread. )
You, John and Curtis have been recipients of my near-drunk dialing and texting. I need to get Suds phone number and call and harass him when Imbibe.

I've hit the Knoxville BrewFest in June and a local group has very nice monthly tastings. Knoxville Brewers Jam is in October as is the HOOTENANNY,which is like a beer fest for BeerPals.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Jul 30 2012 at 10:26:54 PM   |
|

We got one coming up in Green Bay (Top of the Hop Fest) in October but its going to be in Shopko Hall.

Let paint a picture. Warehouse sized building, beige walls and gray I-beam. Cement floor. Blue divider curtains seperating booths. Black skirted tables with white table cloths.

Exterior
[img]http://www.pmiwi.com/wp-content/pieces/shopko-hall.jpg[/img]

Interior
[img]http://www.pbnewi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/wedding-show-2012-5.jpg[/img]

Oh well, I guess its good to have a fest in our area of this size, though here is the link [url]http://www.topofthehopsbeerfest.com/greenbay/[/url]

ps shocktop was one of the beers listed on the initial advertisement I got.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Aug 04 2012 at 6:57:59 PM   |
|

13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

20 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!
quote: quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Aug 10 2012 at 8:48:17 PM   |
|

It has begun. I always hope timing is good to snag a few rarities in my travels. Alesmith especially, seems to have some crazy version of Speedway on tap all the time. But it's already begun 6 days before we get there. I came across a Facebook post that Alesmith was selling 2010 BA Decadence tonight (they'd be gone by the end of the night)...I assumed they meant they were selling them THERE, but I just paid for two bottles via paypal to be picked up next Thursday. Made my day!!

13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

20 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!
quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Aug 15 2012 at 9:19:11 PM   |
|

4 variations of Speedway Stout of draft in less than 20 hours!! (3 I've never had, including 2 barrel-aged). I just peed a little...

It has begun. I always hope timing is good to snag a few rarities in my travels. Alesmith especially, seems to have some crazy version of Speedway on tap all the time. But it's already begun 6 days before we get there. I came across a Facebook post that Alesmith was selling 2010 BA Decadence tonight (they'd be gone by the end of the night)...I assumed they meant they were selling them THERE, but I just paid for two bottles via paypal to be picked up next Thursday. Made my day!!

13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!
quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

20 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!
quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by slowrunner77

slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Aug 20 2012 at 7:42:42 PM   |
|

My my my. The two days of festival were amazing! Lots of breweries not holding back. Brew returned to the most times? Cigar City Snack Attack. PB & C...

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 22 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic