BeerPal Forums | back to Poll Discussion | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Poll: Lambics Then and Now
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 17 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >   

AuthorMessage
Clash

2028 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 9:26:57 AM   |
| Reply |

What was your opinion of lambics the first time you tried them vs. now?

-I have always liked them.
-I have always disliked them.
-Disliked then – Like now
-Liked then – Dislike now
-I’m new to the style, jury is still out.
-I’ve never tried any lambics.

Lambics are not exactly everyone's cup of beer (See what I did there). Lambics can be very tart and sour and contain some funky flavors that can be quite different from "traditional" beers. Talking with fellow beer folks over the years I've heard some say they hated them at first, others have always loved them, while others still don't get it.

***One other note - If Lindeman's (while technically a lambic) is the only kind you've had you may want to try more, those are not close to the funky tartness of many other lambics. Kind of like saying "Yeah I like imperial stouts, I've had Guinness"

Oh and Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, doesn't count [V]
bradyrennie

61 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 9:42:52 AM   |
|

Well, with this poll I've never tried a lambic beer except for the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, so I voted "I've never tried any lambics."

I'll have to watch the poll and see how it goes, then I'll give a few lambics a try this weekend. [:D]
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 10:53:55 AM   |
|

Had a few and never had one I liked... and that Sam Adams Cranberry is the absolute worst.
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 11:49:32 AM   |
|

I've enjoyed lambics since the first time I had one. I definitely recommend to anyone here that's new to the style to go out and invest some dough in a good lambic.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 1:13:09 PM   |
|

I really liked the sam adams cranberry...

But my answer is missing on this one,...

"It depends...."
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 1:44:01 PM   |
|

Somebody send this man a New Glarus Cranbic!!!
quote: Originally posted by fargingbastige6

Had a few and never had one I liked... and that Sam Adams Cranberry is the absolute worst.
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 1:47:31 PM   |
|

I'm gonna go with always liked em...though now probably as much or more than ever. First try at unblended lambic was a bit of a letdown, but getting better. Fruit lambics average a 3.85 for me, and I LOVE many of them.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 1:50:21 PM   |
|

yeah, maybe I should walk down to the Piggly Wiggly and get one... or the Shopko Express... Or the Quick Trip... Or the BP....[8D]
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 1:55:18 PM   |
|

SHOW-OFF! [}:)]
quote: Originally posted by mattfungus

yeah, maybe I should walk down to the Piggly Wiggly and get one... or the Shopko Express... Or the Quick Trip... Or the BP....[8D]
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 3:07:03 PM   |
|

I have always liked them.
kinger

2714 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 6:35:45 PM   |
|

I too have always liked them.

Lindemans was my 1st foray into this group, but I quickly explored others as I was able to find them. Beersel Oude Geuze was the 1st non-fruited Lambic I recall having and it was definitely an eye opener.
cyrenaica

1566 posts
Posted May 17 2012 at 10:01:54 PM   |
|

It's a tough one to answer. I've always liked them, but only because by the time I tried my first one, I knew what I was getting into. Had I been given that same beer a year or two earlier, my opinion would have been entirely different and I probably never would have tried another one.
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted May 18 2012 at 8:02:44 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by cyrenaica

It's a tough one to answer. I've always liked them, but only because by the time I tried my first one, I knew what I was getting into. Had I been given that same beer a year or two earlier, my opinion would have been entirely different and I probably never would have tried another one.

I agree.

I had my first lambic 20 years after my first beer. That's a big gap in time and experience. By the time I tried lambic, I had already slogged through the gambit of pale lagers and was seriously interested in expanding my horizons. While I gagged on my first Schlitz in the 70s, I loved the first sip of framboise in the 90s and love lambics and gueuze still.
bluesandbarbq

5554 posts
Posted May 19 2012 at 8:44:08 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by cyrenaica

This. Exactly this.
Suds McDuff

3025 posts
Posted May 19 2012 at 9:02:29 AM   |
|

i like how sa cranberry and cranbic have been mentioned and they're not even close to being a lambic.

i really enjoyed the first few lambics i had..

cuvee rene was a 4.0 right off the bat..
heemer77

1761 posts
Posted May 19 2012 at 10:58:41 PM   |
|

I didn't like my first couple of lambics. I then learned to appreciate them and really liked a few. I haven't had any for a while because of the price.

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 17 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic