BeerPal Forums | back to Poll Discussion | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Poll: Off Flavors In Beer
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 16 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >   

AuthorMessage
Clash

2028 posts
Posted May 10 2012 at 3:13:54 AM   |
| Reply |

Which off flavors do you find the most offensive in a beer?

-Diacetyl (Butter, butterscotch)
-DMS (Cooked cabbage, vegetables)
-Skunk (Musty, urine, skunky)
-Metallic (Usually iron type flavors)
-Cloying (syrupy, intense sweetness)
-Oxidized (Old, stale, wet cardboard)
-Medicinal (Band aid, cough syrup, Listerine)

Some of these can be caused by improper care after the beer is made, some are brewing flaws, and some are even done on purpose!

These are not all the possible flawed flavors in beer but there are too many to list in a poll. I listed seven that are common complaints I see in ratings. While most people don't favor any of these, which one is the absolute worst for you?
Clash

2028 posts
Posted May 10 2012 at 3:21:40 AM   |
|

Diacetyl doesnt really bother me too much but I dont really want it there. For me skunk is the worst. You open that green bottled beer and it instantly smells like a dead animal or an unflushed urinal. I don't usually drain pour beers but most of the ones I have poured were related to skunk.
Flashpro

3297 posts
Posted May 10 2012 at 7:30:08 AM   |
|

Nice poll. Really tough to make a decision!
bradyrennie

61 posts
Posted May 10 2012 at 10:11:39 AM   |
|

I wish I could have picked more than one but I went with oxidized.
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 10 2012 at 11:57:55 AM   |
|

Oxidized would probably be my least favorite, which means the beer is old. The others are typically brewing flaws, which can be corrected. Oxidized malts, oxidized hops (cheese)....ugh...the worst. But then again, in some beers, oxidiation is a characteristic (English b-wines, old ales).
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted May 10 2012 at 8:27:47 PM   |
|

which one is the nail polish flavor?
[xx(]
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 11 2012 at 3:11:14 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by mattfungus

which one is the nail polish flavor?
[xx(]

Acetobacter is what causes this, which would be when this bacteria has an unusual exposure to oxygen. Great in flemish sours, bad in other styles.
Suds McDuff

3025 posts
Posted May 11 2012 at 5:41:19 PM   |
|

metallic... hands down! [B)]
kinger

2714 posts
Posted May 11 2012 at 7:50:31 PM   |
|

DMS hands down, fortunately this seems to be the least common of the ones listed that I encounter.

I enjoy a touch of Diacetyl in some beers/styles
Skunk doesn't factor into what I typically buy so it's not an option
Metallic does bother me, especially in the darker brews but it's not a deal breaker
Cloying is only bad if I'm downing a large sample
Oxidized typically means old so shame on the store for shelving old stock or shame on me for aging a beer too long
Medicinal can be good in fruit beers and often unavoidable, again doesn't get to me too often
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted May 11 2012 at 9:33:37 PM   |
|

I'm much in agreement with kinger, though cloying is okay, though one particular cloying does bother me, overbitter over hopped. I'm talking some of the recent sierra nevadas like celebration where you might as well cellar it and hope in 2-3 years the bitterness mellows.

Otherwise i'd rather drink a mouth full of excederine and saccharine and tab soda.
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 12 2012 at 1:15:32 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by mattfungus

overbitter over hopped

You must be joking, right?
Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted May 12 2012 at 12:27:58 PM   |
|

I really hate metallic. When I taste that in a stout that I'm looking forward to, I get super pissed.
Clash

2028 posts
Posted May 13 2012 at 11:50:55 PM   |
|

quote: quote: Originally posted by Stoutlover72

quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by mattfungus

overbitter over hopped

This brings up a point, why is overly sweet and syrupy considered an off flavor and not overly bitter and hopped.

Overly hopped/hop bitterness is almost never done on accident, so even if someone considers it an off flavor (and some people do) it doesn't fit the criteria.

Cloying, syrupy, or overly sweet can be done on purpose but it's also the result of brewing flaws. Help me here homebrew folks if I'm wrong but from what I've read it relates to a yeast problem.

So basically that's why.
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 14 2012 at 12:15:49 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Clash

quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by Stoutlover72

quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by mattfungus

overbitter over hopped

This brings up a point, why is overly sweet and syrupy considered an off flavor and not overly bitter and hopped.

Overly hopped/hop bitterness is almost never done on accident, so even if someone considers it an off flavor (and some people do) it doesn't fit the criteria.

Cloying, syrupy, or overly sweet can be done on purpose but it's also the result of brewing flaws. Help me here homebrew folks if I'm wrong but from what I've read it relates to a yeast problem.

So basically that's why.

Cloyingly sweet beers can be the result of a few things, but primarily due to either starting out way to high with the malt bill, using the wrong yeast or not letting it ferment completely. Different styles obviously will lend itself to a sweeter beers or vice versa. I'm not too sure if I'd consider a cloyingly sweet beer a flaw on the brewers part, because that'd be pretty tough to f-up, but I guess it could be. You may not like it in your beer, but for the most part if there's a shit load of sweetness left behind it's because the brewer wants it there. If they didn't they could get rid of it (if they had the time and space).
Clash

2028 posts
Posted May 14 2012 at 5:37:08 AM   |
|

quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by Stoutlover72
If they didn't they could get rid of it (if they had the time and space).

That's just it. If Sierra Nevada, Bells, or Stone f-ed up they will correct it or have a do over. Jim Bob's Brewing in Great Falls Montana wont. So some micros out there who did mess up a malt bill or yeast will still sell the syrupy mess. So I agree not a common brewing flaw but still can be one.
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 14 2012 at 2:27:00 PM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by Clash

quote: quote: quote: quote: Originally posted by Stoutlover72
If they didn't they could get rid of it (if they had the time and space).

That's just it. If Sierra Nevada, Bells, or Stone f-ed up they will correct it or have a do over. Jim Bob's Brewing in Great Falls Montana wont. So some micros out there who did mess up a malt bill or yeast will still sell the syrupy mess. So I agree not a common brewing flaw but still can be one.

Good point.

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 16 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic