SAVOR 2012
Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 36 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >    Last Page >>

AuthorMessage
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 6:56:07 PM   |
| Reply |

I just scored a ticket to the hottest craft beer event in the Universe: SAVOR 2012. I appeal to the BeerPal crowd for some advice. What would be your Top 10 beers from the 74 x 2 = 148 available?

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/

I went two years ago, and managed to sample 30 beers before stumbling blissfully toward the Metro for a ride home. Note each sample of beer is paired with a small serving of something interesting to nosh. There's also an oyster bar and an artisan cheese table.

Heaven.
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 7:44:09 PM   |
|

The ones that hit me right off the bat are the deschutes, ninkasi (with chile braised goat), avery (with huckleberry dessert thingy, and the new belgium tart lychee and the bells smoke lager with the duck confit

What I would avoid is full sail (unless you like beechwood flavor), the ng belgo (blach), sam adams, sierra nevada and rogue. I would limit myself to one superhop beer and just assume I might not taste anything for the next twenty minutes after that.

What would intrigue me the most are Green Flash, Willimantic Flower Infusion, and Tallgrass Velvet Rooster.

Unfortunately because of my migraines I might only be having the beer. Anything with chocolate, wine, coffee, pistachios, molasses or brown sugar, sun dried tomatoes, dried fruit, medium-sharp cheese, goat cheese would be out. If I ask what is in it and then mention this list of ingredients, most chef will come out of the kitchen with steam coming out of their ears and demand that I leave immediately.
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 7:52:14 PM   |
|

Matt, I like your suggestions, both to try and to avoid, and the humorous way you explained your concern about certain foods. I looked at the menu and I just had to laugh. I know what to do with a rare porterhouse and garlic mashed potatoes. What, exactly, does one do with a dish called "pork belly mole, pumpkin seeds and orange zest"?
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 7:54:13 PM   |
|

I am really looking forward to Nebraska Brewing Co's offerings!

Barrel Aged Hop God Paired with Spinach, manchego and artichoke empanada, and

Melange A Trois Paired with Chevre crostini, fennel and blood orange marmalade
slowrunner77

4237 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 8:26:54 PM   |
|

Are you supposed to know what brewery makes what beer? Some say, and some names are obvious, but for many of them, I have no idea who makes them...
mattfungus

827 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 9:04:07 PM   |
|

Here's the better list

[url]http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beer-food/savor-breweries/[/url]

I agree the what does one do with pumpkin seeds and orange zest, though its like wait a minute, essentially you are having a pork mole (mexican sauce made with chocolate, cinnamon, raisins and nuts (or pumpkin seeds))

Still when talking fru-fru food, you do need a phone to translate

remoulade - cajon or french mayonaise
rouili - like cajun mayo with breadcrumbs
aoili - thin homemade mayonaise

Apparently you add a little something to mayonaise and wa-laa it's a whole new fancy side dish.

Creme fraiche - fancy pants sour cream
crostini - fancy italian toast
comfit -sugar coated, think jordan almonds
Sherry Gastrique - Sherry mixed with sugar and other spices. It sounds like the sherry mixed with the meat drippings or sherry that will strangle your bowels but its not.
Campechana, Ceviche - Think of those jars of shrimp cocktail only fresh. Ceviche is fish, campechana is with more varieties of seafood and some avacado. Another is gazpacho, which is similar but without the seafood. In spain it sometimes has day old breadcrumbs and sometimes lots of garlic and anchovies and is drunk in the late afternoon like a big bloody mary. In the US we expect to eat soup with a spoon and for soup to be a little chunky so it looks and tastes like a vegetable salad floating in tomato juice.

FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 9:22:31 PM   |
|

The list is deliberately designed to produce chaos. They want people to come in without a plan and wander, possibly filling in empty tables instead of adding to long lines. Therefore, the list of brewers will expand if you click it to show what beers and foods they are pairing, but NOT what table they are on.

Go to the map of tables and you can see the Brewers, but not the beers.

Go to the style guide and you can see the beers in each style, but neither the brewer NOR the table!

Bastards!

So I am creating my own spreadsheet, loading it on Google Drive, and taking my Motorola Xyboard tablet so I can take pictures, record videos of interviews with brewers, and write tasting notes.

Don't let them Bass Tards Get You Down (Down Down Down Down).
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 10:35:22 PM   |
|

Chef Chad, where you at?

quote: Originally posted by FoamDome

I am really looking forward to Nebraska Brewing Co's offerings!

Barrel Aged Hop God Paired with Spinach, manchego and artichoke empanada, and

Melange A Trois Paired with Chevre crostini, fennel and blood orange marmalade
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 07 2012 at 11:04:20 PM   |
|

So the real question is, "how did you do it?"

How did you more experienced beerfest attendees manage to taste and remember the 30 most important beers out of 150 shoved in your face? How did you select? How did you record? What tools do you suggest to optimize the fest experience?

I have a 4G tablet, software like Untappd and BeerSpec, a two-way 5 MP camera, a high tolerance for alcohol, and an undying thirst for all things beeriological.

What else do I need?
bluesandbarbq

5554 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 9:11:13 AM   |
|

How did you more experienced beerfest attendees manage to taste and remember the 30 most important beers out of 150 shoved in your face? How did you select? How did you record? What tools do you suggest to optimize the fest experience?

I have a 4G tablet, software like Untappd and BeerSpec, a two-way 5 MP camera, a high tolerance for alcohol, and an undying thirst for all things beeriological.

What else do I need?

A trophy girlfriend and a ride home?
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 9:20:09 AM   |
|

quote: Originally posted by bluesandbarbq

quote: quote: Originally posted by FoamDome

What else do I need?

Good one, brother! Say, did you see that Yazoo won the lottery and will be serving two beers at SAVOR?
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 10:12:46 AM   |
|

Solid. Best one I've heard today.
quote: Originally posted by bluesandbarbq

quote: quote: Originally posted by FoamDome

What else do I need?

Phishpond417

1676 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 12:08:50 PM   |
|

Holy hell.

First off, straight up greatest food/beer pairing menu I have ever seen. You are one lucky son of a gun. My mouth is watering more for the food than the beer.

Don't forget to wear your fancy pants to this event.

Beers I would definitely have to check out-

Don't miss anything from Odd Side Ales out of Michigan- Mayan Mocha Stout

or anything from Nebraska Brewing.

Surly Coffee Bender for a night cap- Do it!

Denver Beer Co.- Graham Cracker Porter (these guys are the shit!)

NB's Tart Lychee

Yazoo, Cigar City and Ska's Modus Hoperandi (one of my faves)

Have fun. Looks like heaven!

How did so many Oregon brewers get on the list? Nice!
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 12:19:44 PM   |
|

Phish: yeah, pretty awesome, right? I am lucky. Thanks for the recommendations. I am prioritizing brewers into top, middle, and bottom thirds. I will avoid stuff I have already tried to allow for the greatest number of new experiences in the approx 30 small samples I'll try. I mean, I love DC Brau, Vintage 50, Capital City, and Port City, but they are in my backyard. Lemme go for some of the stuff I may never see again!

And as for the list, AHA held a lottery. You are looking at the lucky winners!

I will likely be using a suite of social media tools to share the experience. Starts Sat 9 Jun at 6 pm Eastern. FoamFan on Twitter. #SAVOR.
fargingbastige6

3573 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 12:23:10 PM   |
|

Following on Twitter.

Phish: yeah, pretty awesome, right? I am lucky. Thanks for the recommendations. I am prioritizing brewers into top, middle, and bottom thirds. I will avoid stuff I have already tried to allow for the greatest number of new experiences in the approx 30 small samples I'll try. I mean, I love DC Brau, Vintage 50, Capital City, and Port City, but they are in my backyard. Lemme go for some of the stuff I may never see again!

And as for the list, AHA held a lottery. You are looking at the lucky winners!

I will likely be using a suite of social media tools to share the experience. Starts Sat 9 Jun at 6 pm Eastern. FoamFan on Twitter. #SAVOR.
pfoxyjohn

748 posts
Posted Jun 08 2012 at 12:38:48 PM   |
|

WOW! A great list to choose from, but the Bell's brews and pairings caught my eye:

Smoked Vienna Lager - Paired with Duck confit taco, queso fresco, pickled cherry

Wild One - Paired with Roasted beet and chevre tartlet, sherry gastrique

Enjoy!

Displaying posts #1 to #15 of 36 | Jump to page
   < Previous Page   Next Page >

Reply To This Topic