BeerPal Forums | back to Poll Discussion | Reply To This Topic | Start a New Topic

Poll: Changing drinking habits with the season (view this poll)
Displaying posts #1 to #12 of 12

AuthorMessage
Lang

575 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 10:43:01 AM   |
| Reply |

Are we not going to have a thread to talk about the new poll? I'm very interested to hear my fellow beerpals' opinions about this. I voted yes, since I tend to steer clear of stouts and porters in the warmer months. Flashpro, if I stepped on any toes, please delete this thread.
Suds McDuff

3025 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 11:14:25 AM   |
|

I am not the biggest fan of summer beers, but that being said i just drink other brands while waiting for the kolschs to be replaced with some winter warmers...so ...no...I only tend to change my kinds of beer consumed when i run into somehing eye catching.But i'll drink porters and spiced beers in the summer months if i can obtain them.
Bitte Ein Bit

91 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 11:45:57 AM   |
|

Like Lang said, I also tend to stay away from stouts and porters durring the warmer weather. But I do fancy a odd Barley wine for those "cooler" nights
Stoutlover72

4256 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 2:17:52 PM   |
|

I definitely change my drinking habits to the lighter, more refreshing beers that are "linked" to summertime. I still drink the darker beers, but I drink more of the lighter beers. In the winter/fall months I still drink what's considered summer beer but just in less quantities.
Dansting

1510 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 2:43:55 PM   |
|

I pretty much don't change at all. That is, with the exception of seasonals that are only available certain times of the year.
kinger

2714 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 4:18:12 PM   |
|

Aside from picking up seasonal brews, my tastes and habits don't change much
pksmith

1330 posts
Posted May 02 2006 at 10:12:19 PM   |
|

My tastes don't change much. May have a few more "lawn mower" beers just because, well, I have to mow the lawn. Otherwise, I still like my darks, strongs and sippers.
drewseslu

1139 posts
Posted May 03 2006 at 1:48:17 AM   |
|

Habits? No.
Preferences? Some of them.

About the only difference is that I drink more Maibocks in May, more O-Fests in September and more English Strongs near Christmas.
FoamDome

2602 posts
Posted May 04 2006 at 4:30:05 PM   |
|

When it comes to beer, I like it all--but not all at once! I appreciate that beer is an agricultural product. Historically, that meant that available ingredients changed during the course of any given year. The longer your grains sat around in your granary, the more likely you were to roast them a little darker before brewing with them. As winter approached, you were more likely to add some spices and run up the alcohol. By time the spring harvest rolled around, you were ready for something fresh and light with the early harvest. I guess I try to follow the brewer's calendar when selecting beers to stock and serve. This is admittedly for purely sentimental reasons, however. The fact is that, these days, material to produce any style is avaiable year round.
changeup45

1533 posts
Posted May 16 2006 at 3:29:30 PM   |
|

I love spring and summer beers so I tend to drink more beer and less scotch during the summer. Also, I sometimes change the sytles of beer I drink.
doulos31

238 posts
Posted Jun 14 2006 at 7:50:14 AM   |
|

I've only been a beer fan for about 2 years now. So, for the first year, it was hard to tell if my style hankerings were seasonally related, but I can say now that they are.

I LOVE stouts and porters and drink them all year long, but I definitely have less urges for them in the summer months.

I love wheat beers (American, Hefe, Wits) in the summer. I almost never have an urge for one in the other seasons. I also like hoppier beers in the summer.

I love the fall and oktoberfest/marzen season. Those beers just feel like autumn. I love going to old stateline liquors in mid-October and just buying every marzen seasonal I can find in singles...and drinking them on football sundays. It's just perfect.

I also like Belgians in the winter. They are warming and delicious. Like I said earlier, my summer urges are more hoppy and less sweet. I have little Belgian urges this time of year.

I've yet to see a pattern for my cravings in the spring, but the other seasons, definitely yes.

So, yes, my beer cravings definitely change with the seasons.
BeerHunter

723 posts
Posted Apr 26 2007 at 8:22:45 PM   |
|

I usually stick with what I like year round, but I do like to sample the latest seasonal brews that come out.

Reply To This Topic